How To Train Your Dog to Walk on a Leash - Gentle Leader Harness

How To Train Your Dog to Walk on a Leash - Gentle Leader your Gentle Leader collar Heidi Caccamise here, and in this video I'm going to teach you how to train your dog to walk beside you.

0:05 This is Frisbee, we're out on a walk. I wanted to share with you that the first thing I used to do when I walked him is I used to just attach the leash to his regular collar. 0:12 I learned later that when you dangle something in front of a dog and you pull back, like on a collar or with your fingers or whatever you're doing, you're actually teaching your dog to be aggressive. This is how they train police dogs. Don't do that, if you're doing that currently.

0:25 The next best thing is a harness, but I found with Frisbee being so strong, he was still able to pull me down the street with a harness.

0:32 What works for me is the Gentle Leader harness. You can see it wrapped around his nose and attached to the bottom to the leash. The Gentle Leader harness is great because it still allows a dog to pant and regulate their heat, but what it does is it gives me control of his head. 0:47 A dog can only move in the direction that his nose is pointing, so it just takes a gentle pull on the leash to redirect him or to get him to hold back with me if he gets ahead of me while we're walking.

0:56 Let's go ahead and demonstrate the Gentle Leader harness and you can see how nicely he walks beside me. This is a great way to teach you how to train your dog to walk beside you as well.

1:07 Let's go, Fris.

There he is, walking nice and calm right beside me, panting a little bit.

1:17 The other thing you can do to help your dog and to train your dog to walk beside you is to have a calm, assertive energy yourself. Your dog picks up on your energy, so if you're nervous, or just uptight when you're walking him, your dog's going to pick up on that. You need to walk calm and assertive, straight up, shoulders back and let your dog pick up on that relaxed energy so they can have the best experience on their walk also.

1:38 This is also a great way to establish yourself as the pack leader, which is really important.

Here's how you train your dog to walk beside you.

1:46 The two tips I have is a Gentle Leader collar, especially for a bigger dog, but even a squirrely little dog, and your own positive energy, calm, assertive. Those are my two tips to train your dog to walk beside you.

1:59 For other online dog training tips, I'm going to put a link in the description below to Doggy Dan's Dog Training.

2:06 You can click on the link here and learn how to train your dog to walk beside you as well as some other great basic 13 It's so much more enjoyable, as a pet owner, and also a better experience for your dog when you can actually teach them some basic training tips and be able to get them out on a walk and not be so frustrated that they're tugging and pulling and out of control.

2:28 I hope you enjoyed the video. Click on the link above. Check out the online dog training. You can do a three-day trial for one dollar and it's so worth it.

2:38 Thank you for watching the video and I'll see you on the next video.

Subscribe to my channel by clicking

Comments